MMTC Logo MMTC Banner
140.6 Sponsors

Princeton Sports



The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults

70 Point 3 Sponsors

24 Hours of Booty

Nutra Sport

Center for Integrated Manual Therapies

RipIt Events

Olympic Sponsors

Cara Zaller, Nutritionist

Melissa Decker, Keller Williams Realty


CB MultiSport Coaching

Sprint Sponsors

Racine Multisport



Base Performance

Roka Sports

Race Result

Racer: David Brenner
Race: Eagleman Ironman 70.3
Date: Sunday, June 13, 2010
Location: Cambridge, MD
Race Type: Triathlon - Half Ironman
Age Group: Male 25 - 29
Time: 8:05:48
Overall Place: 1009 / 1028
Age Group Place: 80 / 83
Comment: Eagleman - Death before DNF

Race Report:

When I was 20 years old my father said, “This is the time of your life where your body is really receptive to building muscle” I responded: “That stuff just isn’t for me.” Triathlon has changed my way of life. I eat to live. Over the last 6 months I got serious about my diet and dropped about 20+ pounds. On race day I weighed in at 185 pounds with a body fat around 20%. This will mark the first time in my adult life where my body fat has been average (barely).

I wanted to go big for my first half ironman race. My primary goal was to be healthy going into the race. (I tried to do Big Bear last year, but I over trained and fractured my shin.)

The morning started off quietly. Woke up around 4am had half a bagel, a banana and about 12 ounces of Gatorade. This was the first race morning where everything went off without a hitch. Arrived at transition with plenty of time to spare and took my time setting up. Was shocked when I heard that this was not a wetsuit legal race, my strength is swimming so I just made a slight change to the gear selection. I always have trouble with races where my wave starts 90+ minutes after the start of the race. I tried as best I could to find shade and relax. I spent the previous weekend in Florida swimming in the ocean so I wasn’t too worried about the swim.

Swim 41:44
I was worried that the swim would be like the Nations swim, but it wasn’t anything like it. The waves were separated out nicely and it was relatively straightforward. I caught a couple of elbows to the back, and a stinger hit me in my rear—pretty much expected. I focused most of my swimming on sighting (didn’t want to swim off course to start the day off). I tried to balance speed and relaxing. Aside from the minor skirmishes in the water, mission accomplished.
T1 4:34
I made the decision to change into actual bike clothes for the bike. I figured I would be riding for a while, so I might as well be comfortable. I used a towel to cover myself up, and it actually went pretty well. I wasn’t really worried about my T1 time, but I thought it was pretty solid considering.
Bike 3:48
For me the bike broke down into two parts. I had ridden the course before and bonked around mile 50. I chalked this up to poor nutrition, high winds, and torrential down poor. My last ride on this course was 3:20. I figure with a little race day endorphins, I might have a shot at 3:00.
As the ride started, I felt good, I had a bit of pain from the elbow in my rear, but I had a strong cadence and averaged 17/18 mph. The only thing I was a bit concerned about was that my HR was spending a bit too much time in Zone 4. I felt fine, but knew that 3 hours in Zone 4 might be a bit much. I focused on breathing and trying to keep my speed while dropping my HR. It worked and I got into the high end of zone 3 --atleast I was under my threshold. Right before I hit mile 28, I thought things were going well.

At mile 28 I encountered my first race flat. I somehow ran over what looked like a staple from a staple gun. It double punctured my tire and I could feel some bounce when I pushed down on my petals. I have changed tires before on the side of the road, but my real preference is to change a tire in my living room. I flipped my bike over and started the procedure. It took about 15 minutes and I was back on the road. Right before I finished the assistance vehicle came up, I asked if he had an extra CO2 catridge, but he said he only had a pump. I knew I should have asked to use the pump but my tire felt fine. I regretted this for the next 28 miles.

As I continued riding, I could feel my tire still giving a bit. I knew it was still a bit flat, but I also knew that I have ridden on a flat before and it just takes a bit more energy. I made the decision to expel energy and try to conserve (some) speed.
The one thing I didn’t account for was that the water stops would hand out warm Gatorade/water. This hoodwinked me. I couldn’t get my body to cool down and I was spending every bit of energy I had to make it back to transition. This turned the bike into a much more challenging adventure than I would have liked. I could tell my body was starting to have issues cooling down, but the quickest way to cold water was to finish the bike. Eventually I made it to where I could see everyone running, and I got a boost of energy. I finished the bike and wasn’t sure I could go on.
T2 7:14
I was exhausted by the time I got to T2. I kept telling myself that once I got to the run there wouldn’t be any mechanical issues to deal with. I couldn’t find any ice. I could tell my body wasn’t doing well with the heat. I took enough time to get my HR down and I prepared for what would be the most physically demanding, mentally trying event in my life.

Run 3:24
I am not a runner, but have spent almost the entire off season working on my run. I ran through the entire winter building up mileage to be ready for this race. By the time I got to the run I could tell my body was pushing a very serious danger zone. I tried to run the first mile, but the second I started running, my heart rate hit the roof and I could tell something wasn’t right. I finally made it to the first water stop and loaded up on water and 3-4 cups of ice.
Side note: The volunteer who went out of her way to get me a ridiculous amount of ice might have saved my life. This might sound dramatic, but I have never valued volunteers this much.
The run dragged on, I changed my Garmin to go from pace to distance (survival mode) and stumbled .10 miles and then jogged .10. It felt like I could not go on for almost the entire run. I felt like I had exhausted everything I had. But I kept stumbling on. The idea of a snow cone kept me going for miles. I finally made it to the halfway point, and realized I had a shot to make it—without my snow cone :-\.
I thought once made it to the halfway point I would have a little more energy motivation to go faster, but as the race continued I realized that my determination/motivation were maxed out and going forward was all I had left. I finally crossed the finishing line 8:05:48. Death before DNF.

It was the greatest challenge I have ever faced. It was harder than I ever could have imagined. By the grace of God I finished. I am an Eagleman. Next race 19 days away.