MMTC Logo MMTC Banner
140.6 Sponsors

Princeton Sports



The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults

70 Point 3 Sponsors

24 Hours of Booty

Nutra Sport

Center for Integrated Manual Therapies

RipIt Events

Olympic Sponsors

Cara Zaller, Nutritionist

Melissa Decker, Keller Williams Realty


CB MultiSport Coaching

Sprint Sponsors

Racine Multisport



Base Performance

Roka Sports

Race Result

Racer: Matt Olsen
Race: Celebration Sprint Triathlon
Date: Sunday, June 27, 2010
Location: Columbia, MD
Race Type: Triathlon - Sprint
Age Group: Male 35 - 39
Time: 2:00:06
Overall Place: 275 / 1372
Age Group Place: 34 / 116
Comment: First flat in a race, but still happy.

Race Report:

This was my third race in four weeks (with my daughter's Christening on the "off-week"), so at least I was trained up for this. I was going in with the main goal of breaking 2 hours, but thought with a good day I could realistically be down towards 1:50. Slept ok the night before, and was at the event in plenty of time to get set up, tires pumped (perhaps a little too much as you'll see in a minute), and over to the start. Given the number of folks competing and the forecast, I was very happy to be going off in the first wave.

Swim: 26:01

Just floated on my back until the horn went off, heading straight into the sun. Like my last race, I had a goofy issue from the outset with water getting up my nose, which really threw me off. Once that got settled down, I realized that I wasn't completely sure where the first turn bouy was. Oh well, the pack had a pretty good idea of direction so I followed, and things worked out fine. Once I got settled in I was very comfortable, and could see a lot better coming back in. Around the last turn, started to pick it up, and immediately got tangled up in a bunch of seaweed. Ugh. Not a big surprise given the heat, but still not a lot of fun.

T1: 2:32

Well, the actual "transition" part of the transition went well. No problem getting shoes or socks on. Might have helped a little bit if I had immediately noticed that MY REAR TIRE WAS FLAT.

Bike: 1:03:36

Went over the timing mat, mounted up, and 30 ft. down the road could tell there was something wrong. Panicked for a second, but quickly decided I was better off changing the tire back in transition rather than sit on the curb with the world coming by. I asked the volunteers at the timing mat if it would screw me up going back in, they weren't sure (to their credit, it's not their job to know that), so I headed back in and got the tire changed. I was still timed correctly, and best I can figure, my little excursion only cost my about 7:30. I had never had a flat, or any other kind of mechanical difficulty in a race, so I was bummed for a little bit. But, I still wanted to break two hours, so off I went. As best as I can figure, by the time I was actually riding I was probably between 80-90th in my age group.

And you know what? I had an absolute blast the rest of the race. I didn't push too hard to try and make up time on the bike, just rode my bike and tried to stay comfortable. I think I was passed by about 3 bikes, and passed a bunch of folks, which felt really good. No big excitement, and I still stuck to my nutrition schedule, taking my Gu chews starting off on 108, and then taking a gel coming back in on 108, hoping it would kick in on the run. It did.

T2: 1:25

Nothing adventurous here. I will say, I would recommend to the race director that they not have bike in and out in the same place in the future. As I was coming in and heading left to my rack, a stream of folks were coming up the hill from the racks to the right. It wasn't an issue for me, but I would be surprised if a few people got crossed up. Shoes changed easily, and off on the run.

Run: 26:35

I simply felt awesome starting off on the run. My Garmin shows the first mile at around 7:40, and I didn't slow down much after that. Passed a bunch of people, and did not get passed by anyone. I knew it was going to be really close on the 2 hour mark, so I really started pushing when I got to the dam. Came down the finish stretch just in time to see the clock go over 2 hours.

The ice water towels were very nice, and the smoothies/food put out by my tri club were great as well. I stretched a little bit before heading over for a massage, which felt good. I was very pleased with my placing in the end, and was glad my attitude didn't go down the drain after the flat!